How would a 416A do in the Paul Klipsch designed EV Regency cabinet? There is an orphan cabinet not too far from me, and I happen to have a few orphan drivers..... A Magnavox, a Jensen P15R, and an Altec 416-8A.
How would a 416A do in the Paul Klipsch designed EV Regency cabinet? There is an orphan cabinet not too far from me, and I happen to have a few orphan drivers..... A Magnavox, a Jensen P15R, and an Altec 416-8A.
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
It might work. I believe if you search around the web you will find people reporting on using the 416 in the Onken, which is a similar type of cabinet (slot loaded). Notice, the Regency is also designed to be placed in a corner, which will add needed reinforcement for the low bass. I think that kind of cabinet is more useful for the stiff integral paper surround, low excursion, low power-handling woofers like the early 515's, 803's, JBL 130A's and EV SP15's. Personally, I would not bother with it for the later 416-8a, since later engineering has shown how to make a precisely tuned bass reflex using T and S parameters, and for that woofer I think the Regency would sound like a mistuned bass reflex. But if making cabinets is not in your skill set, and buying existing cabinets and trying them is your only option, then it might work for you.
Eh..... are you maybe thinking of the Bass Ultraflex? The Regency cabinet is a back loaded horn.
Well, maybe one of the other 15's would be better, then........ If I recall correctly the Jensen has a paper surround, and at least one of the two styles of Magnavox's does too......I think that kind of cabinet is more useful for the stiff integral paper surround, low excursion, low power-handling woofers like the early 515's, 803's, JBL 130A's and EV SP15's.
It's not the only option, but it's certainly the easiest (and cheapest), besides I like old stuff......But if making cabinets is not in your skill set, and buying existing cabinets and trying them is your only option, then it might work for you.
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
I checked before posting, perhaps a suggestion for you, especially when "correcting" someone else. I'm thinking of the Regency. It is not a rear-loaded horn. It is slot loaded. The slots expand, I believe, so you might call it a horn, or a half-assed hybrid of some sort. It is similar to other Klipsch designs that were compromised versions of the k-horn idea for simplicity and ease of construction, as detailed in Badmaeiff (sp?), et al. It is similar to the concept of the Aristocrat, but is even less of a horn than that is.
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
Getting there.
Advertising? Are you serious? Advertising that lies, that bends and abuses the meaning of words? Is this a new concept to you? Look at the photos here:
Old Electrovoice Regency 2 way - Lansing Heritage Forums
Maybe you'll see what I mean.
You edited while I was posting, so I've just seen your changes. Yes, the horn is fed through a slot in the front. I see where Badmaieff and Davis say it's like a horn on a reflex port. That is not the same a Onken, or a Bass Ultraflex. Furthermore, they don't address the Regency directly, but what I think was called the "Short Horn" in Cohens book...... yes that is a very simple horn. I haven't read any of these books cover to cover recently, but I don't see then using the term slot loaded. EV calls the Regency a back loaded horn, and that's good enough for me.
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
Going back to the original question, yes I definitely think you should buy that half-assed hybrid and put a woofer in it.
FWIW, the only measured specs I've seen for a SP15 makes any of the 416s a poor choice, though the -8C comes closest and could probably be made to perform OK once dialed in with increased output impedance (adding series resistance or decreasing its DF if tube driven). Can't comment about the others.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Bookmarks